This report is a review of the environmental performance of the Electricity Commission (EC) for the year 1 July 2006 to 30 June 2007. The approach used is to focus on five particular areas of work that are relevant to the year under review, rather than undertaking a systematic audit.
The five work areas are:
- electricity efficiency programmes, such as subsidising the sale of energy efficient light bulbs
- the monitoring of "hydro spill", that is, water flowing past a power station that is not being used to generate electricity
- the introduction of more sophisticated electricity meters – meters which could help households and businesses better manage their electricity use
- the incorporation of wind power into the electricity grid
- the issue of who pays for transmission lines and the consequent impact on investment in renewable forms of electricity generation.